Sewing Machine Maintenance in Garments
Maintenance is the routine job for keeping sewing machine fit for garments manufacturing. Every factory assigns maintenance team to ensure the proper functioning of a sewing machine. Sewing Machine maintenance team make Schedule and take preventive action. Proper maintenance of the sewing machine will ensure long-lasting service. For this reason, the sewing cost per unit will be less. This is the reason importance is given for sewing machine maintenance in garments.
Objectives of Sewing Machine Maintenance in Garments
- To get good quality product/garments
- Reduce sewing machine downtime
- Ensure long-lasting of sewing machine
- To save time
- Increase productivity of garments
- Stop unwanted machine breakdown
List of Work for Preventive Sewing Machine Maintenance
Here, I have listed 15 prevented work need to do schedule basis for decreasing the frequency of sewing machine maintenance
- The machine should clean every day before factory breaking up
- Needle thread, bobbin thread, or looper thread should be threaded correctly and their tension should adjust properly.
- Essential parts of the machine should be lubricated or oiled regularly.
- Using correct needle numbers by pre-experiment with fabric before bulk production and needle adjustment should be correct.
- SPI, stitch tension should be correct
- The machine should be covered and needleless when idle
- The machine should be handled according to instructions provided by the suppliers
- The handwheel should always be rotated towards the operator
- Electrical and compressed air supply of sewing machine should be safe
- During fabric feed and with a drawl, the needle should be picked at the topmost position and the pressure foot is lifted.
- Bobbin thread should be wound, in uniform tension
- The 1/5th portion of bobbin should always remain empty after winding thread
- Switching to stop the machine and start machine should be proper
- Keeping a schedule of every work and report actual vs schedule
- Follow maintenance checklist and work routine wise
Hopefully, this article will be helpful for a person who works with a sewing machine and who is responsible for the maintenance of the sewing machine.