Fabric spreading is a process by which fabric plies are spread in order to obtain the required length and width according to the marker dimension. One of the main objects of fabric spreading is cut garments in bulk and saving in fabric.
Description of Fabric Spreading
Spreading means the smooth laying out of the fabric in plies or layer of a specified length. The cutting marker is layed on the most top layers. The maximum width of the cutting marker is constrained by the usable width of the fabric. The number of lay should not be more than three hundred during the spreading of fabric. But it can vary according to the thickness of the fabric. It also depends on the height of the knife.
The spread of fabric can be of basic two types
- Flat spread
- Stepped spread
Objects of Fabric Spreading
- To place the number of plies of fabric to the length of the marker plan correctly aligned as to length and width and without tension.
- To cut garments in bulk and saving in fabric.
- To save cutting time by cutting many plies at a time.
- To ensure every ply plain and flat.
- To reduce manufacturing cost by cutting in a proper way by ensuring proper fabric spreading.
Factors Considered for ply Height Determination
The Thickness of the Fabric
When the thickness of the fabric is more than the no of ply will be less and if the thickness of the fabric is less than the no of ply will be more.
Cutting Knife Length
Lay height will be 70% of the length of cutting knife.
Volume of production
If it is bulk production then no of ply is more end hence the height of lay is more.
Nature of fabric
Ply height will not be the same for both cotton and synthetic fabric or any other types of fabrics. In case of the same no of ply, cotton can be cut but synthetic fabric cannot be cut.
Engineer Sheikh Nurja
B.Sc engineer of textile