Best Practice of Garments Washing Factory in Apparel Industry
The best practice is a manufacturing methodology or technique which is developed by longtime research and accepted as the best method to do a particular job. Here I am giving best practice followed by Garments washing factory, you may set them as a standard operating procedure (SOP) for the whole washing process. Hope this article would help you enrich your knowledge of best practices of Garments Washing Factory.
Pre-Production /Sample Development Stage of Garments Washing Factory
- Set a detailed SOP for sample development and pre-production procedure and team organogram for proceedings, make visible for all.
- Your factory should have a separate department or a team (R&D) for handling samples development and duplication.
- Development samples, and then duplicated samples are kept with records/recipe for future follow up.
- Development team reviews the PDM & check requirements before start shade band/the first batch.
- Developments samples are scan and reviewed by supervisor/manager before submitting for approval to buying-house.
- Trims and Leather patches being reviewed/Wash standard Checked prior to development.
- Risk Analysis meeting is to be held in factory or vendor to take necessary precautions before bulk & maintain the records.
- Washing recipes are set with record according to approved samples/standards/recipe/work order.
- Samples are reviewed under lightbox in dark room with identified light sources from an individual customer for color matching.
- Shade blankets/Shrinkage test done properly as per Wash standard.
- Always run a 1st batch trial and review it in detail, for measurements, appearance & shade, before running bulk production. Make a detailed report.
Production Control -Dry and Wet process in Garments Washing Factory
- Inspecting Garments in before wash stage to check part shading, work hole, spot and shade segregation.
- Approved samples for each dry process available (with date & signature) and posted in front of the operator.
- Inspection procedure by AQL check for defects, keeping a daily updated report of pcs checked & defects found, use min 1,000 lux illumination, proper records kept before proceeding to next process.
- Quality Improvement efforts with Quality meetings, Defects Summaries, Pareto Analysis and Follow up. Use statistical data, to analyze quality results & make decisions to improve it. Review results & plan future corrective actions based on root cause analysis (should be visible in production lines), Pareto graph and follow up on top 5 defects. Compare results by day, week, month and by-line, section, dept., etc. You need to also keep track of the progress of at least 1 most recurring defect
- First bulk lot procedure is available in wash plant with a color-coding system.
- Garments are properly prepared and weighed/load size accordingly to suit for machine sizes and work order prepared.
- Approved recipe are properly prepared and posted for operators guide on each particular finish/machine.
- Garments are checked for scratch, color matched to standard before applying next step of wash/soften bath.
- You should have an in-house lab testing room, important Lab testing carried out at internal Lab e.g.: pH /tearing/washing fastness/crocking etc.
- Washing standards and shade bands available for each style/color and stored properly by dark ploy in a locked box.
- Measurements checked on every batch before and after washing, using a correct ruler and calibrated tape measurement and reported.
- The implementation of Preventive Maintenance system to reduce machine downtime and maximize machine fitness.
- Color evaluation Lab is maintained with buying house standard light source, CWF & D65 preferable.
- Implement 5’s method as a base to implement lean procedures. Must do weekly 5’s audits, give & post rating to each area. Do formal training & keep training records.
- Set up ETP and WTP to remove effluent from water and processing wastewater.
Chemicals/ Dyestuff Control and Storage in Garments Factory
- Set a detailed SOP on chemical storage, dispatching and chemical handling safety procedure to visualize in floor.
- Temperature and humidity control, Storage area ventilation and floor set in good condition.
- All containers, big & small must be properly labeled to indicate which chemical they contain.
- Chemicals arrangement in good condition to avoid accidental/hazardous/inflammable mixing.
- Keep a log of chemicals dispatched to bulk production, quantity & chemicals specs must match washing recipe.
- RSL, MRSL reports must be handily available on site for each chemical. GOTS certificate, MSD and TDS documents should have in chemical and Dyestuff store.
- Warnings signs are posted on shelf or wall for, specially chemicals in storage.
- Dispensers are properly labeled for separate application to avoid chemicals Contamination.
- Weight machine or digital balance in use, Scales must be calibrated for accuracy.
- Chemicals are well prepared and weighted in advance for bulk production load.
- Stockkeeper in control of chemicals used.
- Chemical are labeled to containers/bags of purchase date or expiry date.
Technical requirement of cutting and Fabrics
- Garments dry process and wet process procedures
- Garments washing procedure
- Garments washing best practice
- Benchmarking Garments washing.
- Technical Requirement of Cutting and Fabrics
A.M. Amirul Islam (Washim)
Email: [email protected]
Linkedin: A.M. Amirul Islam