What is WIP, WIP Calculation, Reducing, Reporting in Garments Manufacturing
What is WIP? What does WIP mean in Apparel Industry? WIP means Work In-progress or In-process, an inventory system in the Garments manufacturing process in cutting, sewing and finishing but not for raw materials warehouse or finished goods warehouse. WIP for manufacturing floor the quantity between input and output what backlogged in production. In this article we will see the details of What is WIP, WIP Calculation, Reducing, Reporting in Garments Manufacturing.
WIP Calculation of Cutting, sewing, Washing, and Finishing
- Cutting WIP = Total cut quantity – Total quantity inputted to sewing section
For example, Cutting section cut total 10,000 pieces for style# 5572819 and 7520 pieces have been inputted to the sewing department, then cutting room WIP will be =(10,000-7520) =2480 pieces.
- Sewing Line WIP = Total pieces (GMTS Qty) inputted to the line – Total number of garments sewing output completed
For example, if a sewing Line totals 7520 pieces have been got input for style#5572819 and total 3500 pieces are produced from the line. Sewing line WIP is (7520-3500) = 4020 pieces.
Limiting washing WIP is very much important because most factories don’t have own washing facility. So they have to send Garments to another factory for washing. Delaying in washing can effect on time delivery.
- Washing WIP= Total Garments sent to washing – Total Garments received from washing
Finishing, the last stage of Garments manufacturing, garments manufacturer challenge limiting washing and finishing WIP. Every factory especially follows up washing and finishing WIP to maintain on-time delivery to the customer.
- Finishing sections WIP = Total Garments received from washing – Total packed quantity
WIP Report Format for the Apparel Industry
It is very easy reporting WIP, doesn’t need to make a format for checking WIP, you can keep WIP calculation in a production report. Here excel reporting format uploaded to download for all of you.
Cutting and Sewing WIP
|Daily Production Report – Sewing|
|Line Name||Style||Order Quantity||Al. Quantity||Input Date||Day Input||Ttl Input||Day Output||Total Output||Input Balance||Output Balance||Line WIP|
|A & B||808-8129||11897||12851||31-May-18||579||12413||1552||12407||438||444||6|
Washing and Finishing WIP Report
|Total Sent to Wash||Day Receive from Wash||Total Receive from Wash||Work in Process in Wash|
|Total Wash Receive||Day Poly||Total Poly||Poly Balance/Finishing WIP|
Download WIP report format in excel chart
How to Limit excessive Work In-process (WIP) in Garments production Floor
- Reducing bottleneck and productivity improvement
- Adding machines and improving workforce
- Proper Layout and machine allocation
- Follow Kanban board in the production floor
- Keeping accurate production flow chart/ sequence
- Producing a good quality product and stopping re-work
Problems of Excessive WIP for Apparel Industry
- Transit areas become obstructed and blocked
- Garments gathering in the workplace
- Garments inadequate to maintain a good appearance
- Hamper normal production flow
- Poor housekeeping
This Content also have an answer of below points
- How to find out WIP in the Apparel industry
- Limiting WIP in the Apparel industry
- WIP follow up in the Apparel industry
- WIP calculation of Cutting
- WIP calculation of Sewing
- WIP calculation of Washing
- WIP calculation of Finishing
A.M. Amirul Islam (Washim)
Email: [email protected]
Linkedin: A.M. Amirul Islam