Before appointing an industrial engineer for the apparel industry, you have to keep in mind the Job Responsibility of IE in Apparel Industry. Here IE means Industrial Engineering. The world has limited resources but day by day we need to produce more and more product. The challenge is to increase productivity by using least amount of resources. Garments industry is very much competitive. So in this competitive industry, it is a big challenge for Bangladesh or any other country to survive. We are looking for a solution where we will get more productive technology with lower cost. Industrial Engineering is all about optimization of limited resources. Generally, Optimization, Planning, and Process Control is the core work in apparel for the industrial engineering department.
Job Responsibility of IE in Apparel Industry
Nowadays IE playing the key role in the apparel industry. Industrial Engineering Job is not an easy job, always engineers need to take the challenge and bring a complete solution. The person who is responsible for industrial engineering is considered as an industrial engineer. I made a list of industrial engineering activities in the apparel industry.
Major Work of Industrial Engineering in Garments
Industrial Engineering deals with the following activities:
- Time Study, Motion study
- Taking the capacity study of full-line and line balancing for clean-up bottleneck area.
- Methods developments & analysis as a side of quality & quantity.
- Follow-up the low performing Operators.
- Operation breakdown, Operation Bulleting / Layout
- SMV calculation by time study.
- Operator skill Summery.
- Train up production staff on efficiency.
- Process-wise operator skill development.
- Nonproductive time (Loss Time) record and reduce.
- Hourly Production Monitoring & Achieve the line Target.
- Prepare Man machine report.
- 5s implementation, Training, and Auditing
- Work on 7 QC tools to minimize defect.
- Statistical analysis for continuous quality improvement.
- Production Planning and control, Planning Calculations
- Capacity Study
- Production Study
- PDCA Cycle
- 7 Wastage reduce
- Manpower Budget Planning
- CPM, CM Calculation
- Line Cost Calculation, Floor capacity calculation
- SPM, EPM, PCL Calculation
- Reduce WIP (Work in Process)
- Operator, Line and floor efficiency Calculation
- Follow up KPI (Key points indicator) and Report
- Inventory Control in all section
- Implementation lean manufacturing tools and Six Sigma
- Provide Incentive for operator and Production staffs
- Manpower requisition and set up
- Eliminating excess manpower
- Improving Productivity through detailed analysis of process by process
- Smooth supply chain management from raw material to output
- Helping to launch TQM (Total Quality Management) system in a factory
- Implement traffic light system on the floor & reduced sewing defect percentage
- Co-ordination with merchandising
- Fabric & thread consumption.
- Garments analysis & style development for reducing costing.
Please mention in the comment box if I missed any point.
A.M. Amirul Islam (Washim)
E-mail: [email protected]