What is Ginning
To answer the question what is ginning? I would say, the process by which the fibers are separated from the seeds is called ginning. It is one of the most important steps of the spinning process. After collecting seed cotton from the field, cotton moves to nearby gins for separation of lint, seed and any other foreign particles. The production of a typical gin is about 12 bale per hour (here 1 bale = 500 pounds). Earlier the ginning process is to be done by manually but right now for higher production, manufacturers use an automated machine with higher productivity. The machine is well known as a cotton ginning machine.
Simply to define ginning we can say that the process is used to get the cleaned cotton by separating or removing the seeds, dust or any other foreign particles. So that better cotton can be offered for the cotton spinning mills.
Objects of Ginning
- To make the fiber free from seeds without gin-cut fiber.
- To ensure the best quality of cotton and get the fair price of cotton in the market.
- To be confident that fiber does not contain excess and unexpected seeds or any other particles.
- To make the spinning process easier and effective
Ginning Process of Cotton
- At first, the cotton is made to go through dryers to reduce moisture content.
- Then the cotton is made to go through cleaning equipment to remove foreign particles or materials.
- The cotton is then sent to the air conveyed to gin stands where revolving circular saws pull the lint from the saw teeth by air blasts or by rotating brushes.
- The cotton is compressed into 500 pounds weigh contained bales.
- Then the bales of cotton are shipped to the textile spinning mill for further processes.
- To ensure better quality the overall process is monitored by a quality control team.
Types of Ginning
There are two basic types of Ginning you may find. These are:
- Saw Ginning
- Roller Ginning
Rather than manual ginning, saw ginning is used which provides more clean cotton compared with manual or handheld separation process of seed from cotton.
Advantage of Saw Ginning
- Saw ginned cotton is more uniform
- Cotton is more clean than usual.
The Disadvantage of Saw Ginning
- Possibility of fiber breakage due to draw up the fiber from the surface of the seed.
- Increase neps
- Increase short fiber content
In the case of modern ginning, an automated roller is used in the ginning process of cotton. Nowadays this type of ginning technology is highly used for industrial purpose.
Advantage Roller Ginning
- Fiber quality is better compared with saw ginned cotton.
- High production because of the use of advanced technology in the ginning process.
Disadvantage Roller Ginning
- The moisture of seed mixes up with fiber in processing which causes cake cotton fault.
Faults in Ginning
- Gin-cut fiber
- Crushed seeds
- Neps formation
- Too much wastage
Engineer Sheikh Nurja
B.Sc engineer of textile