Standard Minute Value: SMV in Garments, Calculation, Importance
The term Standard Minute Value – SMV is mostly used in the garments industry and it is a common measurement calculated by the Industrial Engineer. Generally, SMV indicates the time taken to make garments by the workers using the right types of machinery. In garments factory, you may find that many people used to the SAM – Standard Allowed Minute which is same as SMV. SMV varies garments to garments, style to style, factory to factory. Management and buyers ask for SMV and it is the responsibility of the IE department to calculate SMV and give it to the respective parties. Here in this article, I will share details of Standard Minute Value: SMV in Garments, Calculation, Importance with a practical example.
Industrial Engineering is concerned with the design, improvement, and installation of an integrated system of men, machinery, and materials. SMV is one of the most important tools used by IE.
The prime objective of industrial engineering is:
- To Increase Productivity
- To eliminate waste and non-value added activities
- To come up with the optimum use of scarce resources that would bring out the best results.
Importance of SMV in the Apparel Industry
The reason Why we use SMV in Garments Factory is given below
- SMV is calculated for doing a costing of garments
- It is used for calculation of target and set the right target
- For Calculating the Efficiency of workers
- SMV is calculated for making a plan and take effective factory production decision.
For Calculating SMV – Standard Minute Value in Garments you must have a proper idea of machine operating procedure and working process of workers. Close observation of Industrial Engineer is required to calculate the right SMV for a particular product or style in your factory.
Basically, SMV is the sum of the basic time requirement and allowance applicable to it. Normally allowance is given at the rate of 10% based on the efficiency.
Formulas of Calculating SMV
Calculation of SMV in Garments
SMV = (Basic Time + Allocated Allowance)
The formula of Basic Time = Observe Time x Rating Factor
Basic Time: Basic time is the most likely time required to make garments considering observe time and applicable rating factors.
Observe Time: Time taken to do a work when an observer is observing closely and record the worker’s work speed.
Calculation of Observe Time = Total Cycle Time is divided by Number of Cycle
Cycle Time: Cycle Time is the time between starting a garments manufacturing and finishing of those garments.
Rating Factor: Rating factor is assigned based on an evaluation of worker performance which is conducted through eye judgment. A worker can be fast, slow and rating is on a scale of 100% to lower.
Costing SMV is calculated for sending SMV information to buyers. Normally 5% additional time is added with the actual SMV.
Costing SMV = Actual SMV + (Actual SMV x 5%)
Example of Calculation of SMV in Garments
Suppose for making a product the following assumption is there
- Observe Time = 25 Minutes
- Rating of Operator = 80%
- Considering Allowance = 10%
- Basic Time = 25minutes x 80% = 20 minutes
- Allowance = 20 x 10% = 2 Minute
So, SMV = 20 minutes + 2 minutes = 22 minutes for making a particular garments product
Calculation of Capacity of Single Operator in Garments
- If an operator works for 10 Hours a day
- 30 minutes to make a product
Capacity = (1 operator x 10 hours x 60 minutes)/30 Minutes = 20 Pieces of Garments by an operator
If you assign 100 operators then your capacity will be = 100 operators x 20 pieces = 2000 pieces a day
Calculation of Efficiency Percent
- SMV 22 Minutes
- Working Hours 10 a Day
- Number of Operators 100 person
- Actual Production 2000 pieces
Efficiency (%) = (2000 pieces x 22 minute)/(100 operators x 10 hours x 60 minutes) x 100 = 73.33%
whereas the target was,
Target = (10 hours x 60 minutes x 100 operators)/smv 22 minutes = 2727 Pieces of garments
SMV of Different Types of Garments Manufacturing
- Operation Breakdown and SMV of Men’s Long Sleeve Shirt
- Operation Breakdown and SMV 5 Pockets Long Pant
- Operation Breakdown and SMV of Cargo Pant
- Operation breakdown and SMV Polo Shirt
- Operation Breakdown and SMV of Trouser
- Operation Breakdown and SMV of Cargo Short Pant with Bone Pocket
- Operation Breakdown and SMV of Cargo Short Pant without Bone Pocket
- Operation Breakdown and SMV of a Cargo Crop Pant
- Operation Breakdown and SMV of a Men’s Chino Pant
- Operation Bulletin and SMV of a Nano Chino Pant
- Operation Breakdown, SMV and Layout of Leggings
- Operation Breakdown, SMV and Layout of Blouse Manufacturing
Hopefully, you understand what is Standard Minute Value: SMV in Garments, Calculation, Importance of SMV in the apparel industry. If you have any confusion then please let me know. I will try to clarify farther in details.